How did you get started with bodybuilding?
One day I was approached by a local bodybuilder in the gym and he asked me if I ever thought about competing. I told him that I didn’t really know much about it. He invited me to watch a competition which he was competing in and it was the Europa Supershow in 2005. After attending the show I saw how normal sized guys could look as shredded as they were.
I told myself that this is what I wanted to do. Just about 8 months later I competed in my first show at the age of 16.
Where does your motivation come from?
My motivation comes from myself. I have always been a very competitive person growing up playing football, baseball, tennis, etc and always had the drive to be the best at whatever it is I did.
So I still take that mindset into bodybuilding and continue to strive to be the best.
What workout routine has worked best for you?
Well I honestly never followed a constant routine. I usually changed the order of my exercises up so that I can build each one equally. For example if I did chest one week and started with Incline DB press. The Next week I will do Incline barbell bench. But most of my workouts contain pyramid sets where the first few sets are high rep and as I continue to add weight I lower the rep ranges accordingly.
- Incline bench 4x
- Incline db press 4x
- Flat bench 4x
- Cable crossover 4x
- Deadlifts 4x
- Bent over rows 4x
- T-bar rows 4x
- Wide grip pull down 4x
- DB rows 4x
- Squats 8x
- Leg press 6x
- Lunges 4x
- Leg exts 4x
- Leg curls 4x
- Stiff leg dead’s 4x
- DB military press 6x
- DB side laterals 6x
- Smith-machine press/ DB Rear delt fly 4x
- Reverse pec fly for r delts 4x
- Cable side laterals/front raises 4x
- Barbell curls/skull crushers 4x
- DB curls/standing DB extensions 4x
- Preacher curls/rope exts 4x
- Hammer curls/reverse grip exts 4x
If you have to pick only 3 exercises, what would they be and why?
- Incline Bench: Because I’m in a constant battle trying to bring up my chest
- Deadlifts: Because I love the feel of lifting heavy weight & its an excellent mass building exercise
- Squats: Once again because I like to lift heavy weight and you can never have big enough legs
What is your diet like?
For some reason it doesn’t take a lot for me to grow, I don’t normally eat a lot of food in the offseason because I tend to gain weight fairly quickly. Here is a sample of my daily diet.
- Meal 1: 16 egg whites, 1 cup oats, 1 banana
- Meal 2: 10 oz. chicken breast, 1 cup rice
- Meal 3: 10 oz. red meat, 12 oz. red potatoes
- Meal 4: 10 oz. tilapia, 1 cup white rice
- Meal 5: 2 scoops whey isolate, 1 scoop karbolyn
- Meal 6: 10 egg whites, 3 omega-3 eggs
When trying to cut down do you prefer to use HIIT or just normal cardio?
I’ve experimented with both approaches in the past and I really enjoy doing HIIT.
It makes my cardio go by much faster and it is definitely a change from the old conventional style of doing things.
What is your supplementation like?
I use all the basic supplements such as
- Whey protein isolate
- Multi vitamins
- Omega 3 fish oils
Without a doubt they would be Arnold, Phil Heath, and Branch Warren
To eat food is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art. – Sagi Kalev