How did you get started with bodybuilding?
Since I was in my teens I had always loved going to the gym and lifting weights. I have always admired the girls in the fitness magazines and wondered if I had the drive, determination and focus to take it to that level. Just over two years ago I decided to compete to see if I had what it takes and I guess that’s how it all began.
Where does your motivation come from?
I don’t want to sound cliché but my motivation comes from within. I have always been a driven person and one who always strive to succeed at what ever I do.
Reaching my goals is such a great feeling and feeds my motivation to do more.
What workout routine has worked best for you?
I try to hit each muscle group once a week with the exception of legs which I usually workout twice a week. I aim for 4-5 days of cardio which I do after my weights for 30-45 minutes.
My current workout looks like this:
- Dumbbell shoulder press 3 x 12-15
- Incline fly’s 3 x 12-15
- Reverse fly’s 3 x 12-15
- Push ups 3 x 20
- Lateral raises 3 x 12-15
- Machine bench 3 x 12-15
- Leg press 4 x 10-12
- Weighted pile squats 3 x 15
- 10 Jump squats (supersets)
- Machine glute kickbacks 4 x 15/side
- Hip abductors 3 x 20
- Hamstring curls 3 x 15
- Lat pull downs 4 x 12
- Seated cable rows 3 x 15
- Straight arm press downs 3 x 12
- Barbell row 4 x 12
- Hanging ab raises 3 x 15
- Decline bench sit ups 3 x 20
- Planks 3 x 60 seconds
- Hammer curls 4 x 12
- Tricep kickbacks 3 x 15
- Seated incline dumbbell curls 3 x 15
- Rope press downs 3 x 15
- Preacher curls 4 x 12
- Skull crushers 3 x 12
- Stiff legged deadlifts 3 x 15
- Leg extensions 3 x 15
- Swiss ball curls 4 x 12-15
- Walking lunges 3 x 30
- Sumo squats 4 x 12-15
- Wall sits (superset) 60 seconds
- HIIT Training
Sunday – Rest
If you have to pick only 3 exercises, what would they be and why?
- Shoulder Press – I love the pump I get when doing shoulder presses and love the way nicely shaped shoulders look.
- Weighted Lunges – Although this isn’t my favorite exercise, it’s necessary to add shape to the lower body since this exercise hits all the major muscles in that area.
- Hanging Ab Raises – I get such a good burn with these and they don’t put any stress on my lower back like some other ab exercises.
What is your diet like?
In general I eat a high protein, lower carb diet and try to avoid sugar.
- Meal 1: Oatmeal with unsweetened apple sauce and cinnamon
- Meal 2: Cottage cheese and almonds
- Meal 3: Spinach salad with raspberries, light feta cheese, and shrimp
- Meal 4: Small chicken breast with veggies and a half a whole wheat pita
- Meal 5: BioX Power Whey Isolate Protein shake and a banana
- Meal 6: Salmon and green beans
- Meal 7: Egg whites or BioX Fusion Protein shake
When trying to cut down do you prefer to use HIIT or just normal cardio?
I like to mix it up and alternate between lower impact cardio and HIIT. High intensity interval training is a great way to switch things up and avoid boredom. All I need is the right tunes on my iPod to give me that extra energy.
What is your supplementation like?
- Multi Vitamin
- Fish oil
- BioX Protein
- BioX Nitro Rush
“Without inspiration the best powers of the mind remain dormant. There is a fuel in us which needs to be ignited with sparks”