How did you get started with bodybuilding?
It stemmed from Athletics. As a kid you always have to see who is the fastest from the group and I was one who didn’t like to lose a race. I then got in to competing on sports days. I used to train at a gym to gain further strength in my legs but trained the upper half for symmetrical balance. I soon gave up the sprinting but as I was able to gain free membership at a gym my sister worked at I decided to take advantage and train as often as I could. For several years I’ve had people ask me to get involved in bodybuilding and I had always refused, telling them I’m not posing in a thong on stage so other people can get thrills.
I was never a camera person and even hated people looking at me with my top off but the thought of looking at magazines and seeing bodies that I would consider as under average made me have hope that maybe one day I could be on the cover or in one. This encouraged me to watch a competition then compete in one in 2010.
Where does your motivation come from?
I guess as time has gone by I’ve been motivated by different things. At secondary school it was athletes like Linford Christie then as I got older it was different Bodybuilders like Arnie (as always) Lou Ferrigno, El Sonbaty, Dorian Yates, Shawn Ray, Flex Wheeler and many more. Now I just look at the past and ask myself, “How can I improve on that? What can I do better? and Who else has made it possible?”
Having a goal gives you a direction to head to, without one you wouldn’t know how fast to move to get it.
What workout routine has worked best for you?
Supersets and circuits. I love a variation of mixed up exercises that make me look forward to a workout rather than mundane single body parts. I get bored if not mentally stimulated so I always spice up my workout.
- TRX Crunches on Bosu 4×20
- Cable Woodchops 4×20
- Turkish Getups 4×15
- Hanging Leg Raises 4×20
Tuesday : Chest
- Incline Barbell Bench 4×8
- Pec Deck Fly 4×8
- Flat Bench Press 4×8
- Dumbbell Fly (machine) 4×8
- Decline Bench Press 4×8
- Bent Arm Dumbbell Pullover 4×8
- Cable Crossover 4×8
- Incline Dumbbell Press 4×8
- Squats 4×8
- Quad Leg Extension 4×8
- Lunges 4×8
- Standing Calf Raise 4×8
- Seated Calf Raises 4×8
- Deadlift 4×8
- Leg Press 4×8
- Hamstring Leg Extension 4×8
Thursday: Biceps and Back
- Preacher Curls 4×8
- Pull Up (25kg belt) 4×8
- Seated Row 4×8
- Concentration Curls 4×8
- Deadlift (heavy) 4×8
- Hammer Curls 4×8
- Dumbbell Rows 4×8
- Close Grip EZ Bar Curl 4×8
Friday: Triceps and Shoulders
- Narrow Grip Bench Press 4×8
- Kettle Bell Front Raise 4×8
- Kick Backs 4×8
- Barbell Shrugs 4×8
- Dips (25kg belt) 4×8
- Lateral Raise 4×8
- Push Downs 4×8
- Shoulder Press 4×8
- Overhead Triceps Extension 4×8
- Decline Bench 4×8
Saturday – Rest
Sunday – Rest
Roger Snipes & Ulisses JR
If you have to pick only 3 exercises, what would they be and why?
- Hack Squats – Develops the quads better than the normal squats and is a great mass building compound exercise that hits the glutes and hamstrings hard.
- Pull Ups With Belt – Lifting your body weight is a good sign of strength. Lifting more with this range of motion exercise works the biceps, lats, rhomboids, abs, deltoids, traps and abs.
- Pull Overs – Compound movement covering a great range of body parts also.
What is your diet like?
Pretty good, generally clean. Saturdays can be a bit wild so that’s my cheat day.
- Meal 1: Oats 200g, 2 scoops of Protein, Flaxseeds, Pumpkin Seeds, 1 Multivitamin, HMB x 2
- Meal 2: Turkey Breast, Broccoli, 400ml Water
- Meal 3: Mackerel, Spinach and Potatoes, Smoothie, Protein Shake
- Meal 4: Chicken and Pasta Salad with light dressing and a Protein shake
- Meal 5: Boiled Chicken Breast, Steamed Vegetable and Rice
- Meal 6: Casein Protein Shake
When trying to cut down do you prefer to use HIIT or just normal cardio?
HIIT is definitely the one, it’s like gym crack because you’re buzzing afterwards as well as exhausted. Because it’s so explosive you don’t need to spend a long duration in the gym doing it. As I like variation I would opt for this or I would settle for classes too.
That’s right I join the ladies in the aerobics and spinning classes. They are fun.
What is your supplementation like?
This is my supplement stack (Brand: PhD)
- Cod Liver Oil
- Whey Protein
- Casein Protein
- L Glutamine
- Protein Bars
The thing always happens that you really believe in; and the belief in a thing makes it happen ~ Frank Loyd Wright